Erin Bertrand, M.A.
Book a Consultation
Office Hours + Location
Ottawa East (Orleans)
- Monday to Friday evenings
- Occasional weekend hours, upon request.
- Behavioural Consultation for children and adults diagnosed with Autism, Asperger’s, Down Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Global Developmental Delay, Attention Deficit Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Learning Disabilities, Reactive Attachment Disorder and Dual Diagnosis clients.
- Behavioural Services are implemented from an individualized, multi-treatment approach, using the principles of Applied Behavioural Analysis and include assessment, treatment and consultation.
- Specialized individual, family and group counselling services are available for children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Specialization in working with parents and families struggling with the challenges of raising and living with children and adults with developmental disabilities.
Individual Counselling in the areas of:
- Depression, Anxiety, Stress
- Self-esteem & Identity Issues
- Relationship Issues
- Childhood Trauma
- Grief, Loss & Bereavement
- Separation & Divorce
- Suicide Intervention
- Short, Medium and Long-term
- Workshops & Presentations
As a Therapist and Behavioural Consultant I operate from a multi-dimensional approach, making use of the most appropriate treatments and best practices. Regardless of whether I am counselling a depressed adult or an adolescent diagnosed with Autism I feel it is of the utmost importance to view the human being from a holistic perspective. Individualized treatment or programming involves considering all factors involved; emotional, behavioural, neurological, pharmacological, sensory and environmental. While the title Behavioural Consultant may convey the message of pure behaviourism, my philosophy makes room for the possibility of other contributing factors, while not ignoring the strong implications of behavioural conditioning.
I made the decision to become a professional counsellor based on my innate attraction to the helping profession and because for many years people would tell me I had a talent for listening and showing compassion. After pursuing a psychology degree I decided to further my expertise with graduate training in counselling. I have extensive experience in the realm of developmental disabilities which includes several years as a frontline behavioural therapist and developmental service worker, as well as coordinating the Best Buddies Program at Bishops University where I paired university students with developmentally disabled adults in the local community to foster
friendships. I have worked with various organizations in the Ottawa region that cater to people with disabilities and am acutely aware of the stress that affects families, parents and siblings who are impacted by a loved one with a disability. My Masters dissertation focused on coping strategies for families raising children with developmental disabilities. Regardless of whether or not a disability is involved, my passion is to help people realize their inner potential, grow strong, learn more about themselves, become independent, self-sufficient and happy with who they are.
What Makes my Service Different?
I offer a mobile counselling service. This means that rather than you having to leave your home, I will come directly to you. If transportation, parenting responsibilities or work constraints are holding you back from accessing counselling services this mobile counselling service may be your answer.
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
Education + Training
- Masters of Arts, Counselling & Spirituality, Saint Paul University – Ottawa, Ontario
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Bishops University – Lennoxville, Quebec
- Certified Canadian Counsellor (CCC) – Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- Specialized Training Workshop in Natural Environment Teaching
- Specialized Training Workshop in Language for Learning , Reading Mastery, Distar Arithmetic programming and Advanced Manding Skills
- Specialized Training Workshop in Teaching Verbal Behaviour
- Specialized Training Workshop in Applied Behavioural Analysis Program for Children with Autism and Related Disorders
- CPR & First Aide Level C Certified
- Erin M. Shackell, Spirituality and Religion as Coping Mechanisms: Families Raising Children with Developmental Disabilities, 2011, Saint Paul University Library.
- Erin M. Shackell and Lionel G. Standing, Mind Over Matter: Mental Training Increases Physical Strength. North American Journal of Psychology, 2007, Vol. 9, No. 1, 189-200.
Book a Consultation