Psychotherapy, or counselling, is the right step when life difficulties come. For professional Ottawa counselling services, contact intake today.
Mental difficulties do not have to be a long-term problem. With the help of psychotherapy, you can move past your personal issues and build the strength to take them on again, should they return.
Choosing the Right Ottawa Psychotherapist
It’s important to find a psychotherapist that fits you. Capital Choice Counselling has over 40 Ottawa-based counsellors, so finding the right psychotherapist is just a matter of browsing our directoryor contacting us directly.
While all of our psychotherapists are excellent, you should be on the lookout for one that meets your specific needs. Whether you live in Ottawa, Nepean, Gatineau, Orleans or Kanata, we have many psychotherapists located conveniently close by.
When you find the right psychotherapist, you’ll know. You want a therapist who is able to connect with you, who listens, understands and offers you valuable feedback. We have the psychotherapy therapists you’re looking for.
Talk to our intake counsellor so we can match you with the best counsellor for you.
Individual counselling is a two-person project. It relies not only on the skill of the therapist, but also on your willingness to participate in the therapy.
At Capital Choice Counselling in Kanata, Nepean, Ottawa & Orleans, our therapists work to create an environment of collaboration. A therapy session involves a give and take between you and the therapist. It involves hard work, yes – but the benefits for you are enormous.
What You Can Accomplish with Psychotherapy
What can you accomplish by seeing a psychotherapist in Ottawa? Our counsellors treat patients with a variety of issues, needs and goals. Depression and anxiety are two of the more common conditions that prompt people to seek psychotherapy. We also have experts in trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), abuse, chronic illness and pain, post-partum depression and much more.
The first and most important step in the process is to recognize that you’re suffering, and that you can get better by seeking help. That’s the next step, making the call to get help, and both are courageous ones. Whom you select and how you go about addressing the issues and finding solutions are what happens after that. It’s a process, not an overnight ‘cure,’ but your time and effort are an investment in yourself.
Types of Individual Psychotherapy
Our Ottawa-based counsellors are trained in most kinds of psychotherapy and will use an eclectic approach dependent on the client’s needs and the presenting counselling issue. We are trained in client-centred therapy, emotion focused therapy, psycho-biological approaches to therapy, existential therapy, EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy and many more. One of the most commonly employed techniques is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or “CBT” for short.
CBT works by helping you address your problematic thinking. Where possible, CBT therapists help you contradict and challenge thoughts that are illogical and destructive, what we like to call our “stinking thinking.”
By changing your thoughts, you can change your behavior. By changing your behavior, you can change how you feel.
For more about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, our page here.
Finding Psychotherapy Services: How Capital Choice Counselling Can Help
We are your guide. Let our Ottawa therapists coach you through the challenges of your life, expanding your horizons and helping you grow stronger and more capable.
We have therapists that are trained to deal with a broad range of personal issues, including:
- Addictions Counselling
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Counselling
- Automobile Accident Chronic Pain & Trauma
- Christian Counselling
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Depression Counselling
- Eating Disorders
- Grief Counselling
- Happiness/Positive Psychology
- Men’s Issues
- Postpartum Depression
- Sexual Abuse
- Teen Issues
- Trauma and PTSD
- Women’s Issues
Frequently Asked Questions
- To gain a better understanding of yourself.
- To relieve yourself of emotional pain or confusion.
- To help you gain a full understanding of your psychological issues.
- To help you develop better and healthier coping mechanisms.
- To give you a more accurate understanding of your past and your aspirations for the future.
- Talk about why you sought therapy. It was probably a particular issue or situation that brought you to a therapist. Talking about it will help the therapist understand the surface problems.
- Talk about your personal history and current life situation. Your therapist will ask questions to get a better understanding which will help them identify deeper issues that need to be addressed.
- Talk about your current symptoms. What parts of your life are being affected by your issues? Your therapist will use this information the help make an official diagnosis.
- Be open and honest when answering your therapist’s questions, and while talking about your feelings on any subject. They can’t help you if you lie to them about your feelings and issues.
- Be prepared before arriving at the session by knowing how to describe the problems you’re having and how your feel about them.
- Ask questions to get a better understanding of how counseling works. This will help you feel more comfortable when talking to your therapist about your issues.
Areas We Serve
- South Keys